Strictly starts soon - so Gossip and excitement ??

# 21  9/11/12 9:15 PM

ScotsBird This member uses the Web version of BeNaughty
Woman, 45
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Flirt expert

You know, this gets right on my last nerve!  It's all over the media.  "18 stone Lisa Riley joins Strictly" and people ridiculing her already before they've even seen whether she can dance or not just because she's a big lass.  The same with Fern Britton.  Why would anyone assume that just because they're larger they're going to be bad dancers?  Fiona Phillips was arguably the worst ever contestant and she's build like a rake.  It's not a gymnastics competition for ****'s sake!  It's a ballroom dancing show and all the lifts and dramatics are only there so that people will actually watch the damn thing instead of just seeing people shuffle around the floor.  I don't see folks saying "Oh Johnny Ball can't possibly win - he's 74 and way too old" or "Oh dear, Nicky Byrne can't win cause he's way too Irish or "Oh, Colin Salmon will probably win because he's black and they're usually good dancers."  Bias in every instance however you look at it but it seems it's open season to be critical about the two women who are a bit bigger than the rest.  Shame on folks

I'm off to lie in a darkened room....

# 22  9/11/12 9:28 PM

Ask her for a photo
This member doesn't have a photo, click to ask her to upload a photo
Miss_Lovely1 This member uses the Web version of BeNaughty
Woman, 33
United Kingdom
Wakefield
Casanova

ScotsBird wrote:

You know, this gets right on my last nerve!  It's all over the media.  "18 stone Lisa Riley joins Strictly" and people ridiculing her already before they've even seen whether she can dance or not just because she's a big lass.  The same with Fern Britton.  Why would anyone assume that just because they're larger they're going to be bad dancers?  Fiona Phillips was arguably the worst ever contestant and she's build like a rake.  It's not a gymnastics competition for ****'s sake!  It's a ballroom dancing show and all the lifts and dramatics are only there so that people will actually watch the damn thing instead of just seeing people shuffle around the floor.  I don't see folks saying "Oh Johnny Ball can't possibly win - he's 74 and way too old" or "Oh dear, Nicky Byrne can't win cause he's way too Irish or "Oh, Colin Salmon will probably win because he's black and they're usually good dancers."  Bias in every instance however you look at it but it seems it's open season to be critical about the two women who are a bit bigger than the rest.  Shame on folks

Ok Calm down think you may have just over reacted a tad.. no one said anything bad did they. we were just saying anton usually gets the hopeless ones and never does very well we didnt actually comment on either lisa or fern. fern is not a big lass anyways. she's a bit thin after that gastric band

# 23  9/11/12 9:31 PM

Woman, 45
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Flirt expert

Miss_Lovely1 wrote:

ScotsBird wrote:

Ok Calm down think you may have just over reacted a tad.. no one said anything bad did they. we were just saying anton usually gets the hopeless ones and never does very well we didnt actually comment on either lisa or fern. fern is not a big lass anyways. she's a bit thin after that gastric band

I didn't say anyone on here said anything bad Miss Lovely. I didn't comment on anyone's post at all.  What I said is that it's all over the media and that's what's annoying me.

# 24  9/11/12 9:34 PM

keefer1097 This member uses the Web version of BeNaughty
Man, 46
United Kingdom
Newport
Needs a spanking

ScotsBird wrote:

oops ..wasnt what i was implying at all..i agree it doesnt always follow just because your a bit bigger you are going to be rubbish.
Generally the athletes do well as they have the fitness levels to start with , although again you have exeptions like Joe Calzaghe and Gavin Henson who were both rubbish. The pop stars are also not always the mutts nuts..like that bird from Destiny's **** , who was also rubbish.
Knowing a bit about Ballroom dancing myself , i do know you have to have some natural rhytmn and ability. Also the way people are partnered up goes by matching people of similar height , as otherwise everything just looks wrong.

After a week or two theres normally only 4-5 who are realistically gonna win it

# 25  9/11/12 9:35 PM

Ask her for a photo
Woman, 33
United Kingdom
Wakefield
Casanova

ScotsBird wrote:

Miss_Lovely1 wrote:

ScotsBird wrote:

I didn't say anyone on here said anything bad Miss Lovely. I didn't comment on anyone's post at all.  What I said is that it's all over the media and that's what's annoying me.

Ok Sorry but yes a lie down may be good no need to get worked up only a program. If I was going on it I would be expecting to be ridiculed not sure I could cope with the rigarous dance routines

# 26  9/11/12 9:51 PM

Woman, 45
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Flirt expert

keefer1097 wrote:

ScotsBird wrote:

oops ..wasnt what i was implying at all..i agree it doesnt always follow just because your a bit bigger you are going to be rubbish.
Generally the athletes do well as they have the fitness levels to start with , although again you have exeptions like Joe Calzaghe and Gavin Henson who were both rubbish. The pop stars are also not always the mutts nuts..like that bird from Destiny's **** , who was also rubbish.
Knowing a bit about Ballroom dancing myself , i do know you have to have some natural rhytmn and ability. Also the way people are partnered up goes by matching people of similar height , as otherwise everything just looks wrong.

After a week or two theres normally only 4-5 who are realistically gonna win it

I agree with all of that Keefer.  As you said, dancing is about natural ability and having rhythm and to some extent how good the professional is at teaching, it's nothing to do with what size you are.  Yes, the bigger women night have problems when it comes to the lifts but it's no different than a tiny professional female dancer trying to lug a big lump of a man about. Look at what happened with Ola Jordan when she was partnered with Kenny Logan a few years back and Flavia and Russell Grant last year.  As I said to Miss Lovely, I wasn't making reference to anything anyone has said in this thread but what I've read in the papers and on the internet since news of the contestants taking part was leaked last week. It just annoys me that it's always the fatter people who are ridiculed before we've even got to see them dancing.   If they're bloody awful once the show starts then I'll be the first one shouting about it but at least give them the same starting chance as everyone else and not damn them for something other than their dancing abilities.  I'm sorry I've got all serious on this thread but it makes me sad.

# 27  9/11/12 10:00 PM

Woman, 45
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Flirt expert

Miss_Lovely1 wrote:

ScotsBird wrote:

Miss_Lovely1 wrote:

Ok Sorry but yes a lie down may be good no need to get worked up only a program. If I was going on it I would be expecting to be ridiculed not sure I could cope with the rigarous dance routines

Would you be expecting to be ridiculed though because of your size (of which I know nothing) or because you may be a **** less fit and couldn't keep up, which in all honesty no one really can at the start apart from maybe the sports people?  Or would you expect to be ridiculed just because at the end of the day you were a really bad dancer which is really what it's all about?

All seriousness aside, I don't mind who wins because they're all great sports for even taking part and giving up months of their everyday lives to do it.  I hope no one gets seriously injured and has to bow out after all their hard work, I hope poor Anton gets someone who CAN actually dance for a change but most of all I hope that Claudia Winkelman is back on It Takes Two every day.  A half hour of telly magic every night for 3 months

# 28  9/11/12 11:05 PM

DD_67 This member uses the Web version of BeNaughty
Woman, 47
Ireland
Love expert

ScotsBird wrote:

Oh my God, now THAT hurt

# 29  9/12/12 1:04 AM

Man, 46
United Kingdom
Newport
Needs a spanking

DD_67 wrote:

ScotsBird wrote:

Oh my God, now THAT hurt

Aww bless DD like i said in the thread its all about whether u have the talent in the toes..plus the big one that sorts them out is the Latin as the Ballroom doesnt need the same feeling / moves

# 30  9/15/12 4:04 PM

Man, 46
United Kingdom
Newport
Needs a spanking

Da da da da da da da..

well the wait is nearly over ...dont forget it starts  18:30pm

# 31  9/15/12 10:40 PM

Woman, 45
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Flirt expert

Watched it and can't wait for the dancing to start in another 3 weeks.  Only managed to guess three of the pairings and was **** wrong on all the others.  For anyone who cares or wants to know and apologies to those who haven't yet seen it.

Fern Britton - Artem Chigvintsev
Dani Harmer - Vincent Simone
Victoria Pendelton - Brendan Cole
Sid Owen - Ola Jordan
Nicky Byrne - Karen Hauer
Johnny Ball - Aliona Vilani
Kimberley Walsh - Pasha Kovalek
Jerry Hall - Anton Du Beke
Lisa Riley - Robin Windsor
Denise **** Outen - James Jordan
Michael Vaughan - Natalie Lowe
Louis Smith - Flavia Cacacia
Richard Arnold - Erin Boag
Colin Salmon - Kristina Rihanoff

# 32  9/15/12 10:50 PM

metallica16 This member uses the Web version of BeNaughty
Man, 53
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Casanova

ScotsBird wrote:

Watched it and can't wait for the dancing to start in another 3 weeks.  Only managed to guess three of the pairings and was **** wrong on all the others.  For anyone who cares or wants to know and apologies to those who haven't yet seen it.

Sid Owen - Ola Jordan

damn...i missed it....woz washing me hair....or summit...

# 33  9/15/12 11:38 PM

N_Owl This member uses the Web version of BeNaughty
Man, 47
United Kingdom
Altrincham
Wicked charmer

As I am not at home at the moment I missed it, bit it should be recorded, thank goodness.  love the dancing, and so wish I could dance like that, there just arnt that many places or occasions when Scottish Highland Dancing fits, so I really must find a local dance school. Any one fancy teaching me

In the meantime I will be glued to the telly each Sat evening once the dancing starts

# 34  9/16/12 1:49 AM

Man, 46
United Kingdom
Newport
Needs a spanking

ScotsBird wrote:

Sid Owen - Ola Jordan

Well

i think the pop star might bomb

my early favs..Denise **** Outen and James , im a man lol , mebbes Sid Owen he does have Ola , Louis and Flavia...dont know with Victoria P and Brendan..i could go .....Jerry Hall is pure entertainment..luv it

# 35  10/5/12 9:29 PM

Ask her for a photo
Woman, 33
United Kingdom
Wakefield
Casanova

keefer1097 wrote:

ScotsBird wrote:

Sid Owen - Ola Jordan

Well

i think the pop star might bomb

my early favs..Denise **** Outen and James , im a man lol , mebbes Sid Owen he does have Ola , Louis and Flavia...dont know with Victoria P and Brendan..i could go .....Jerry Hall is pure entertainment..luv it

think you may be right Fern scored higher, only two dancers so far so am gonna see how scoring goes on but seemed a **** low for them both. liked ferns dance. 

I reckon michael vaughan might be one to watch the cricketers usually do well and of course kimberly and denise have both got dancing experience, not ballroom maybe but still

# 36  10/5/12 9:37 PM

ambrosia69 This member uses the Web version of BeNaughty
Woman, 56
United Kingdom
Hereford
Dating expert

OMG Anton and Jerry, another joke pairing

# 37  10/5/12 9:39 PM

Ask her for a photo
Woman, 33
United Kingdom
Wakefield
Casanova

ambrosia69 wrote:

i reckon Anton would win if they gave him someone who could carry out a few moves.

# 38  10/5/12 9:47 PM

Man, 46
United Kingdom
Newport
Needs a spanking

Miss_Lovely1 wrote:

ambrosia69 wrote:

i reckon Anton would win if they gave him someone who could carry out a few moves.

my mate who runs a dance school has competed against most the Strictly professionals including Anton , who he says is really good , as you would expect.

How Jerry Hall will go i dont know , but she was very entertaining on the pairing show...kinda like Mae West on acid lol

# 39  10/5/12 10:00 PM

Ask her for a photo
Woman, 33
United Kingdom
Wakefield
Casanova

keefer1097 wrote:

Miss_Lovely1 wrote:

ambrosia69 wrote:

my mate who runs a dance school has competed against most the Strictly professionals including Anton , who he says is really good , as you would expect.

How Jerry Hall will go i dont know , but she was very entertaining on the pairing show...kinda like Mae West on acid lol

well denise scored best. not very suprised. scoring was pretty low they seem to be being a bit more harsh this year.

we shall see how she fares tomorrow I guess. that hour flew by!

# 40  10/6/12 9:30 PM

Ask her for a photo
Woman, 33
United Kingdom
Wakefield
Casanova

anyone see tonights strictly?? Seems the two who were wrote off did pretty well for their first dances.

Lisa is top of the leader board and well not sure where Rickaaay was coming from saying he had two left feet!

Board footer

18 U.S.C. 2257 Record-Keeping Requirements Compliance Statement
scamcheck

BeNaughty ranked #8 among all UK websites
in the Hitwise Lifestyle - Dating industry, based on
market share of visits in January - December 2011.