Ask him for a photo
This member doesn't have a photo, click to ask him to upload a photo
pitbull This member uses the Web version of BeNaughty
Man, 23
United Kingdom
Leicester
Right goer

Tom Daley came out on YouTube earlier this week

Well he's in a relationship with a man at least . .Although he likes girls still so he's bisexual I guess . . .But good on him

Tiz good to have a genuinely famous sports person coming out while still competing . . .Doesn't happen enough

Footballers specially should learn from his example . . .Football has had 2 players to my knowledge come out . .  the last played briefly for my team Leeds United . .American Robbie Rogers contract was not renewed by Leeds, he was released . . Weeks later he retired and came out as gay . .aged 25  . .Rogers said he retired to avoid the pressure and scrutiny from the press and fans, which he called "the circus". Rogers said, "Are people coming to see you because you're gay? Would I want to do interviews every day, where people are asking: 'So you're taking showers with guys — how's that?'" Thankfully he reversed his decision and is contracted to LA Galaxy well done Robbie

The first person I know of doesn't have a happy ending . .Justin Fashanu . .Brother of former Wimbledon striker and Gladiators host John Fashanu . . He came out in 1990 . . .His football career basically ended that day . . Although he played on for 7years it wasn't with any great success . . .In 1998 after allegations of **** assault in America Justin was found hung in a garage . . .

He was publicly disowned by his brother who has since expressed regret for his reaction but then in 2012 stated his brother wasn't gay he just wanted attention. And the homophobia in football at the time is perhaps best shown by the man who many regard as the greatest English manager to never manage England . .Brian Clough . .

"His career stalled as his professional relationship with Brian Clough deteriorated; Clough, it would appear, was disturbed by the rumours of Justin Fashanu's visits to gay nightclubs and bars. His goals and then confidence dried up as he failed to fit in with the playing and lifestyle demands of Clough, especially after Clough had discovered his homosexuality and barred him from training with the side.

In his autobiography, Clough recounts a dressing down he gave Fashanu after hearing rumours that he was going to gay bars. "'Where do you go if you want a loaf of bread?' I asked him. 'A baker's, I suppose.' 'Where do you go if you want a leg of lamb?' 'A butcher's.' 'So why do you keep going to that bloody poofs' club?"'[9]

So I say well done Tom Daley and I hope this encourages other sportsmen and women to come out 

# 2  12/4/13 6:21 PM

metallica This member uses the Web version of BeNaughty
Man, 53
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Casanova

pitbull wrote:

Tom Daley came out on YouTube earlier this week

Well he's in a relationship with a man at least . .Although he likes girls still so he's bisexual I guess . . .But good on him

Tiz good to have a genuinely famous sports person coming out while still competing . . .Doesn't happen enough

Footballers specially should learn from his example . . .Football has had 2 players to my knowledge come out . .  the last played briefly for my team Leeds United . .American Robbie Rogers contract was not renewed by Leeds, he was released . . Weeks later he retired and came out as gay . .aged 25  . .Rogers said he retired to avoid the pressure and scrutiny from the press and fans, which he called "the circus". Rogers said, "Are people coming to see you because you're gay? Would I want to do interviews every day, where people are asking: 'So you're taking showers with guys — how's that?'" Thankfully he reversed his decision and is contracted to LA Galaxy well done Robbie

The first person I know of doesn't have a happy ending . .Justin Fashanu . .Brother of former Wimbledon striker and Gladiators host John Fashanu . . He came out in 1990 . . .His football career basically ended that day . . Although he played on for 7years it wasn't with any great success . . .In 1998 after allegations of **** assault in America Justin was found hung in a garage . . .

He was publicly disowned by his brother who has since expressed regret for his reaction but then in 2012 stated his brother wasn't gay he just wanted attention. And the homophobia in football at the time is perhaps best shown by the man who many regard as the greatest English manager to never manage England . .Brian Clough . .

"His career stalled as his professional relationship with Brian Clough deteriorated; Clough, it would appear, was disturbed by the rumours of Justin Fashanu's visits to gay nightclubs and bars. His goals and then confidence dried up as he failed to fit in with the playing and lifestyle demands of Clough, especially after Clough had discovered his homosexuality and barred him from training with the side.

In his autobiography, Clough recounts a dressing down he gave Fashanu after hearing rumours that he was going to gay bars. "'Where do you go if you want a loaf of bread?' I asked him. 'A baker's, I suppose.' 'Where do you go if you want a leg of lamb?' 'A butcher's.' 'So why do you keep going to that bloody poofs' club?"'[9]

So I say well done Tom Daley and I hope this encourages other sportsmen and women to come out 

i must admit when i heard it the wireless my first thought woz....WELL I'LL BE BUGGERED...

butt seriously....

so wot....as long as all the shite he might get dont **** his head up and he gets gold at the next olympics who cares...

# 3  12/4/13 6:39 PM

Ask her for a photo
This member doesn't have a photo, click to ask her to upload a photo
Miss_lovely1 This member uses the Web version of BeNaughty
Woman, 33
United Kingdom
Wakefield
Wicked charmer

do you know what tom daley having a boyfriend or girlfriend is not news and its not really our business. yes hes a sportsman and in the public eye but he and everyone else is entitled to a private life.

It does not affect his ability to perform in his chosen sport so why does it matter.

all the fuss over it is clearly why others dont advertise the fact and keep it quiet.

I would go as far as saying that his video has caused a while load of homophobia with all the jokes being made about him

I don't think his "coming out" has been positive in anyway

# 4  12/4/13 6:46 PM

Ask him for a photo
Man, 23
United Kingdom
Leicester
Right goer

Miss_lovely1 wrote:

do you know what tom daley having a boyfriend or girlfriend is not news and its not really our business. yes hes a sportsman and in the public eye but he and everyone else is entitled to a private life.

It does not affect his ability to perform in his chosen sport so why does it matter.

all the fuss over it is clearly why others dont advertise the fact and keep it quiet.

I would go as far as saying that his video has caused a while load of homophobia with all the jokes being made about him

You don't half talk out of your **** sometimes

Hes an Olympic bronze medallist . . .  Somebody who inspires the next generation of swimmers  . . If him coming out inspires others to do the same . .How can that not be something positive?

# 5  12/4/13 6:53 PM

Ask her for a photo
Woman, 33
United Kingdom
Wakefield
Wicked charmer

pitbull wrote:

Miss_lovely1 wrote:

Hes an Olympic bronze medallist . . .  Somebody who inspires the next generation of swimmers  . . If him coming out inspires others to do the same . .How can that not be something positive?

because hes not having a positive experience, he is being hounded by the press and paps, hes on the news for having a boyfriend, thats not news! and he is being ridiculed left right and centre. how is that supposed to inspire anyone else to do the same? its more likely to put them off

# 6  12/4/13 8:03 PM

Ask him for a photo
Man, 23
United Kingdom
Leicester
Right goer

Miss_lovely1 wrote:

pitbull wrote:

Miss_lovely1 wrote:

because hes not having a positive experience, he is being hounded by the press and paps, hes on the news for having a boyfriend, thats not news! and he is being ridiculed left right and centre. how is that supposed to inspire anyone else to do the same? its more likely to put them off

Lets be honest nobody who comes out is going to have a 100percent positive experience . .There will always be some homophobic nobody having a pop . . Just so happens Toms a celeb so theres more . . But on the whole its been a positive reaction hes had lots of support . . Why would people be inspired?

Because Tom showed courage, knowing the amount of stick he could get, knowing how it could hinder his career, he still came out . . And that is why its a positive thing . . Young people in the closet can  can look at Tom, look at the reasons he had to not come out and yet still did and think, "well if he can do it despite all these negative factors then so can I"

# 7  12/4/13 8:08 PM

mr_pharmacist This member uses the Web version of BeNaughty
Man, 48
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Wicked charmer

is it just me, or is this an attempt at getting back into the media as his diving show is due back on our tvs in the new year ... cynical moi ????

# 8  12/4/13 8:48 PM

Ask her for a photo
Woman, 33
United Kingdom
Wakefield
Wicked charmer

pitbull wrote:

Miss_lovely1 wrote:

pitbull wrote:

Lets be honest nobody who comes out is going to have a 100percent positive experience . .There will always be some homophobic nobody having a pop . . Just so happens Toms a celeb so theres more . . But on the whole its been a positive reaction hes had lots of support . . Why would people be inspired?

Because Tom showed courage, knowing the amount of stick he could get, knowing how it could hinder his career, he still came out . . And that is why its a positive thing . . Young people in the closet can  can look at Tom, look at the reasons he had to not come out and yet still did and think, "well if he can do it despite all these negative factors then so can I"

it most certainly cannot hinder his career unless beoming gay/bisexual/whatever suddenly means he wont be chosen to dive?!  there are laws against that kind of thing you know

# 9  12/4/13 9:00 PM

Ask him for a photo
Man, 23
United Kingdom
Leicester
Right goer

Miss_lovely1 wrote:

pitbull wrote:

Miss_lovely1 wrote:

it most certainly cannot hinder his career unless beoming gay/bisexual/whatever suddenly means he wont be chosen to dive?!  there are laws against that kind of thing you know

And judges pick who wins . . .A homophobic judge marks him down??

# 10  12/4/13 9:36 PM

Ask her for a photo
Woman, 33
United Kingdom
Wakefield
Wicked charmer

pitbull wrote:

Miss_lovely1 wrote:

pitbull wrote:

yeah puppy really harmed the diving careers of

gold-medal-snatching Olympians Greg Louganis, Bruce Hayes and Matthew ****

but whatever, there are laws in place to stop these things happening.  I don't  understand ppl's need to label.  it matters not one jot whether he likes boys or girls

# 11  12/5/13 1:03 AM

Ask him for a photo
Man, 23
United Kingdom
Leicester
Right goer

Miss_lovely1 wrote:

pitbull wrote:

Miss_lovely1 wrote:

but whatever, there are laws in place to stop these things happening.  I don't  understand ppl's need to label.  it matters not one jot whether he likes boys or girls

Really don't like being wrong do you

Matthew **** your right but . . .

Greg Louganis spoke about being gay in public for the first time with Oprah Winfrey in 1995 . .he retired in 1988.

Bruce Hayes last major swimming event was the United States Swimming Championships held after the 1984 Olympics after that the only events he did were connected to Gay events . .he came out in 1992

You and your laws  . . Theres laws to stop diving . . theres laws to stop daft chants from fans . . theres laws to stop racism in sport . . . Have any of these things stopped?

People shouldn't need to label .  .Your right . .But people are labelled and that's the way it is. It matters not a jot to you . . But it does to others simples . . . just accept your wrong Tom Deserves credit and it IS POSITIVE

# 12  12/5/13 6:53 PM

Ask her for a photo
Woman, 33
United Kingdom
Wakefield
Wicked charmer

pitbull wrote:

Miss_lovely1 wrote:

pitbull wrote:

Really don't like being wrong do you

Matthew **** your right but . . .

Greg Louganis spoke about being gay in public for the first time with Oprah Winfrey in 1995 . .he retired in 1988.

Bruce Hayes last major swimming event was the United States Swimming Championships held after the 1984 Olympics after that the only events he did were connected to Gay events . .he came out in 1992

You and your laws  . . Theres laws to stop diving . . theres laws to stop daft chants from fans . . theres laws to stop racism in sport . . . Have any of these things stopped?

People shouldn't need to label .  .Your right . .But people are labelled and that's the way it is. It matters not a jot to you . . But it does to others simples . . . just accept your wrong Tom Deserves credit and it IS POSITIVE

I think you are missing my whole point!!

it shouldnt matter to anyone what his **** is as it does not affect his ability to do his job.

its not anyone elses business and if ppl stopped making a fuss/ debating the issue acceptance would come a lot quicker. hes been labelled and faces a life of ridicule, thats sadly the only thing to come from it

Board footer

18 U.S.C. 2257 Record-Keeping Requirements Compliance Statement
scamcheck

BeNaughty ranked #8 among all UK websites
in the Hitwise Lifestyle - Dating industry, based on
market share of visits in January - December 2011.